Between beauty and utility (1). Motorbikes Workshop.
Calle Sierra del Segura, 22 local, 28038 Madrid
Within the framework of our workshop series "Between beauty and utility", Juan Caño presents an introductory workshop into the practice of constructive design with wood. The aim is to guide people unfamiliar with specialized carpentry work through their first steps into a field where learning is as extensive as the gratification obtained.
By manufacturing a classic racing bike for infants we will introduce ourselves into the methodologies and basic tools of woodworking. While internalizing a range of knowledge and skills, we will produce an object that we can later take with us.
The wooden motor bike, with a particularly simple and clean design, is inspired by a classic line of racing bikes. It might serve as a personal gift, handcrafted and designed, perfect for children between 3 and 5 years old who want to initiate themselves in the two wheels world.
The maximum 14 participants will be distributed in groups of two. Each couple will construct two bikes through reciprocal collaboration and helping each other. The couples will go through each stage of the production process together and end the production cycle with the finished bikes.
- Place: Taller Omnívoros, C/ Sierra del Segura, 22 | www.taller.omnivoros.net
- Date and time: Saturday November, 15th, from 10 to 14 h.
- Participants: adults and teenagers at least 14 years old and accompagnied by a tutor
- Fee: 50 € (materials are included)
- 15 persons max. / group
- Workshop led by: Juan Caño is a sculptor, a philosopher and the co-founder and coordinator of the workshop Omnívoros. In 2004 he founded the association and magazine for aesthetics and critical thinking ARTIZAR (2004-2005), starting in parralel an intense activity in different groups with an interest in aesthetics and activation of the public sphere. Since then he develops sculptural and plastic art projects on a personal and collective level, and also works supporting other artists. Since 2014 he produces and designs objects through his label CARPINTERÍA EXPANDIDA.