Madrid, June 2021
There are those who set up a caravan in one place. There are those who mobilize it for work, need or adventure. There are migrant caravans of groups that travel in large numbers to feel accompanied. There are also the caravans that travel long distances looking for a destination and making displacement a way of life.
Born from the intenstines of Planta Alta, our art residency space, this publication is configured by and from the movement with everything that is generated there: debates, reflections, actions and a critical perspective. It arises from the need to enable a sensitive environment that allows us to give voice to our journey: the journey of all those who get on and off this caravan that began its journey in 2019 as a space for open collaboration, of artistic residence, of coexistence and research.
In this first issue, we include a series of sections that mold their own form and propose different approaches:
- Critical resistance: with contributions by Carmen Haro Barba, Marcos García, Daniel Garcia Andujar and Mar Núñez.
- The state of intermittent alertness, and that return to normality that from Planta Alta we challenge through Desvío, materializes in a collective work carried out by the participants of the program. With the idea of making a map of the present situation, we work on those detours that have crossed us in the last period.
- The following section proposes to share some projects organized by hablarenarte and Planta Alta: Memorable Music (Christian Fernández Mirón, Sole Parody and Julián Mayorga), Manifiesta (Paula Valero) and School of Ageing (Ana Gallardo).
- In a year of great deployment of conservative policies and in the midst of a harsh institutional dismantling, Isidoro Valcárcel Medina accompanies us with a piece of enormous insight. His work is a poetic and political tool that approaches with irony the social dynamics and politics of the current cultural system.
- Valcárcel's words are in dialogue with the valuable contributions of Todo por la Praxis, El Pisito, Atelier Solar, Nigredo, El cuarto de invitados and marcablanca, six independent spaces in Madrid that participate with their views on the importance of supporting autonomous voices and alternative proposals in front of the official cultural production.
You can download a copy of Caravana here.
Edited by: Maria Alejandra Gatti
Graphic design: Anna Solé.
Printed by: New Graphic Forms Group
This newspaper was made possible thanks to the grant to independent spaces of contemporary creation from the Madrid City Council in the 2020-2021 call.