Cultural and Creative Spaces and Cities
Cultural and Creative Spaces and Cities (CCSC) is a policy project co-funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union. It aims to prove that creativity, arts and culture can transform public spaces and cities. During two years and a half—starting November 2018—, the project will connect cultural and creative spaces with local policy-makers through participatory processes.
CCSC will tackle some of the most pressing urban challenges by developing, testing and validating methods for local governments to engage their stakeholders in co-creative design of policies. As a result, civil society and public authorities will develop new policies to improve our cities.
The project brings together a consortium of ten organisations:
- Trans Europe Halles (Sweden), European Cultural Foundation (Amsterdam), Peer2Peer Foundation (The Netherlands and Greece), Amberes University - Prof. Pascal Gielen (Belgium)
- 7 Urban Labs: City of Lund (Sweden), Northern Tzoumerka (Greece), Region of Skåne (Sweden), Ambasada (Romania), CIKE (Eslovaquia), Kaapeli (Finland) y Hablarenarte (Spain).
The Urban Labs are the core element of this project.These gather together cultural organisations, local authorities and creative spaces to explore complex urban challenges in collaboration with other stakeholders. Together, they commit to develop innovative solutions. Seven organisations are responsible for leading and organising seven Urban Labs in partnership with a number of selected organisations, the so-called Handshake Partners. In total, 37 organisations in 21 European countries are part of the Urban Labs. What they all have in common is that:
- they are already exploring new and groundbreaking methodologies of co-creation and of policy development, and
- they are ready to override hierarchical organisational structures in favour of horizontal and collaborative approaches.
- 3 policy co-creation events - involving policymakers and their stakeholders
- 14 training workshops - for local policymakers and other stakeholders
- 2 international conferences - for policy makers and creative operators
- 21 workshops - with local policymakers at the Urban Labs
- 5 thematic international Urban Explorations
- Online toolbox - for collaborative policy development
- Knowledge Base - on the topic Urban Regeneration
- Benchmarking System - for Creative Spaces
- Database - of European creative spaces
- Several publications and case studies
Activity organised with the support of the Madrid City Council's grant for contemporary creation and national and international mobility (2018-21).